Gastric sleeve surgery is a kind of Bariatric surgery that is quite popular among people seeking weight loss. The surgery involves reducing the stomach size so that the person feels full as soon as they eat few morsels of food. It may sound a great way to reduce surplus weight of the body however behind the scene there are many processes involved making the surgery a success story. Hence, if you are planning to go for the surgery to reduce obesity, it will be beneficial to know more about the surgery, its benefits and after care.
Firstly, a few things on gastric sleeve surgery:
During the surgery, the surgeon shapes the stomach like a sleeve shape. It is a simple operation not involving intestinal tract thus there is minimal discomfort to endure. It greatly helps in reducing weight by eating less as the person’s stomach is filled fast. Moreover, hunger hormone Ghrelin is produced less, thus inclination to eat more is considerably reduced. You will realize losing your body weight in first few weeks of surgery, but for gaining best effective lasting results added efforts have to be worked out.
There is no doubt that the surgery helps you greatly to reduce excess weight, but to maintain its effects additional efforts are required. One such easy to do efforts will be to follow certain diet plan. During the gastric sleeve surgery recovery time you need to be very careful about your diet.
Before you leave the hospital, the medical staff is sure to provide changes in your normal diet. That needs to be followed till you are advised to eat your usual food. The new diet plans help to heal your surgery wounds and reduce your calories intake.
The diet plan:
- For the first week, you need to drink clear liquids and mostly live on liquid diet.
- Next week onwards you start eating soft boiled food without any spice. It will be helpful to eat semi solid food like porridge, veggie soups and soft baked homemade gluten free breads.
- You may drink fresh fruit juices to stay fresh and eliminate the feeling or nausea. You can add little sugar as it will help to gain lost energy. Soy drinks, yoghurt and milk will help a great deal to lead normal active life soon.
- In two weeks, you can start eating well cooked boiled food with limited spices. Don’t make the food too hot or oily. It will be helpful to eat a lot of seasonal fruits, veggies, sprouted pulses and green veggies.
- In a month, you can eat your normal diet without excess calories. It will be best to avoid non vegetarian food like steak, chicken and other high calorie food stuff. This is because your stomach is still in healing stage, thus there may be digestive issues to endure.
To not again become overweight, it will be best to avoid food that makes you fat. Always make sure that to stay fit, focused and to remain in right figure, it is best to avoid oily, spicy and calorie rich food.